The Lakewood View

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Krystyna's Story - Children of the Holocaust Discussion Guide

Krystyna's Story - Children of the Holocaust Discussion Guide: "This feeling of shame has stayed with me throughout my adult life. It is only recently that I came to understand the precariousness and limitations of the human existence. A man can't control his feelings and, in time of danger, he rarely controls his deeds. I often think of my friend Willy with whom I survived this dreadful day. Willy, the indestructible, with his raspy voice and charming smile, was a fighter. In December 1942, Willy was caught, stripped naked and sent to the gas chambers. With bleeding fingernails, he pried open the planks of the cattle car and jumped off the train. After the liquidation of the ghetto, Willy survived the raids, the hunger and the cold of the forest. He was drafted into the Russian Army, and on May 9, 1945, one day before the signing of the Armistice, Willy Bloch died in the Battle for Berlin. For Willy, Esterka, Rachel, Mottel and all the other victims, I do recite Kaddish now."

No comments: